Saturday, May 2, 2009

Spring Cleaning Now That It's Allergy Season




Six months ago, I stopped buying household cleaning supplies from the store. I came to realize how toxic they are in human bodies even though they work really fast in getting read of germs & stains inside my house. I admit using them every single week to clean my sink, windows, toilet bowls & tub because they are really super heroes to me. But not anymore..

My husband & my kids have allergies that can be worst at times especially during this time of the year. I still remember the time when I took a day off to relax at home away from kids (they were in school). An hour after my husband dropped them off to school, the teacher called me and asked that I pick up my son for he had a severe allergy reaction... to what?? She said he has not eaten anything and they just came out to the playground and he started having this hives like thing all over his body. I figured it must be the tree or pollen..I don't know. Seeing my son with his face swelling made me realize how fragile they could be when exposed to this elements. And that I have to start getting read of all harmful chemicals at home which means changing almost completely everything over to more environmentally friendly cleaning products. Of the estimated 80,000 synthetic chemicals in our environment, only a fraction of them have been tested for safety. That makes me worry about the long-term impact of chronic exposure.

Organic Housekeeping

I'd like to share to some of my new found best friends in the kitchen and everywhere in the house with you. I hope that you will make use of them not only to protect your family but also for our mother Earth. This is part of my contribution to help green the earth, recycle and save.

Sweat stains-soak shirt in vinegar before washing them
Leather furniture-use glycerin-based liquid saddle soap
Hard woven/wicker-scrub furniture with a moderately stiff scrub brush dipped in warm salt water.
Water rings from wood-remove with a mixture of 1 tbsp. white vinegar in 1 cup olive oil.
Furnitures-use 4 parts olive oil and 2 parts beeswax heated in a double boiler
Sink-hot water & mild dishwashing liquid and/or baking soda, rinse with water.
Sink stains- use hydrogen peroxide on a clean wet cloth, rub it on the stained surface and rinse it off immediately.
For sanitizing sink-Use Bon Ami or Oxyclean (an oxygen bleach)

More tips to come..

No comments: